Thursday, January 13, 2011

Alternative to Ubuntu Netbook Edition using Ubuntu Desktop tweaks

Prior to the release of 10.10, I was really very excited about the new Unity Launcher feature in this iteration of Ubuntu Netbook Edition. I did have my concerns, however; it was such a huge new change and it seemed like it would inevitably need time to mature out of its 'bleeding-edge" bugs and usability issues. When it released, reviews told me that sadly I was correct. So when my netbook, I had some decisions to make.
Ultimately, I decided to wait on Netbook Edition to smooth some of the rough edges (though I was a fan of its last incarnation) and do things my own way.
I installed the desktop edition of 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) because I know I can expect quality and some degree of consistency. But I also wanted to optimize things for use on my Netbook. I finally came up with what I feel is the perfect setup for me.
First of all, I hate the bottom and top bars. I got rid of both of them and replaced them with Awn.
Awn and many other of the tools I install only really look good with visual effects enabled. I went to enable the effects and realized that the options to enable them are inexplicably "grayed out".

Let's start small with a big improvement: install Nautilus Elementary. It's basically a modification to Gnome's Nautilus file browser to make it more clean and minimalist. There is a ton of information available on the web highlighting its features and explaining why it's great so I won't go into it, except to say that you should install it. Here are the commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade




Install compiz, which is not installed by default, so that you can have a slick-looking desktop with compositing (drastically improves appearance of the apps below). This is not installed by default in Netbook Edition and I don't remember if it was installed in the desktop version either. Trying to remedy this caused some confusion for me. It comes as a part of desktop Ubuntu and when you go to "Appearance" to turn it on under Netbook Edition, the options are there but grayed-out. It took some searching and wasted time to figure it out so here you go.

sudo apt-get install compiz-gnome

Next, install Awn (Avant Window Navigator) dock application from their official repositories (I like to use their repositories instead of the Ubuntu repo's because quite frankly, I like the shine of the "Lucido" style offered in the newer version):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:awn-testing/ppa && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-trunk python-awn-extras-trunk awn-applets-c-extras-trunk dockmanager-daemon dockmanager


Within Awn's settings, you will more than likely want to add a lot of applets. My setup goes like this (in order from left to right): Cairo Main Menu, Separator, Launcher/Task Manager, another Separator, Indicator Applet, Garbage, Preferences Applet, Show Desktop, Cairo Clock, Quit-Log Out Applet. You can figure out which of these are optional, but most of them are pretty important if Awn will be replacing other menus. Don't bother changing the settings under the Preferences tab until you have the theme you want selected/installed (so if you're going to use the Elementary-inspired Awn theme from below, hold off until you do that) because those settings will change when you change the theme.

Now install Synapse application launcher for easy access to just about anything on your computer (similar to Gnome-Do).

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:synapse-core/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install synapse


Install elementary-icon-theme from repository.

sudo apt-get install elementary-icon-theme

Install elementary theme from ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementaryart/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install elementary-theme


install elementary awn theme available here

With all this done, if you're fairly confident with the new setup you can right-click the top panel and delete it.
Now, to remove the bottom panel (only do this if you're sure you like the setup and/or are fairly capable of troubleshooting, just in case (though it should be pretty straightforward)), you will want to use the command line and type:

sudo mv /usr/bin/gnome-panel /usr/bin/gnome-panel-old
Make sure Awn and Synapse are set to start at login (via their prospective settings) and log out, and then back in. You should just have the Awn dock on the screen.
If you want to get that bottom panel back, typing the following in the command line and then logging out/back in should do the trick:
sudo mv /usr/bin/gnome-panel-old /usr/bin/gnome-panel


Notes: Check out the preferences for Synapse and AWN to adjust the settings to your liking. For example, I prefer "super(windows key)+space bar" to access Synapse. I also like AWN to be set to autohide and to be on the left side of the screen.


For a cool dark overall look, try this combination of themes:
Wingpanel-like Awn theme:
http://igotnonick.deviantart.com/art/Yet-Awnother-WingPanel-192551989

Atolm GTK theme (dark-gray, brushed look):
http://skiesofazel.deviantart.com/art/Atolm-191381339

AwOken icon theme:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/AwOken+-+Awesome+Token+icon+set?content=126344

No comments:

Post a Comment